If you own a home or are buying or selling in Weber County, UT, researchers at Weber State University can help you determine if your property has a racial covenant and what you can do to renounce it

Does my home have a racial covenant? (click to expand)

Not sure if your home has a racial covenant? Researchers at Weber State University can help you find out. Use one of the four options below to find out.

Option 1

As part of an on-going project, researchers at Weber State University have identified racial covenants on all homes in the subdivisions listed below. This is not a complete list of subdivisions with racial covenants due to the on-going nature of the project. This list will be updated weekly on Mondays. If you live in, or are buying, a home in one of these subdivisions, then your home has a racial covenant.

  • Ben Lomond Heights

  • Browne Barr

  • Country Club Heights

  • Hillcrest Addition

  • Lomond View

  • Nob Hill Addition - Block 6 only

  • Oak Ridge Acres

If you would like to request a copy of the covenant recorded on one of these subdivisions, please email your request and the name of the subdivision to Jenny Gnagey, jennifergnagey@weber.edu.

If you don't know the name of your subdivision, follow the steps below to find out.

  1. Go to https://www3.co.weber.ut.us/psearch/

  2. In the Address Search box, type your address and click Search

  3. Find your home in the Search Results list and click on the corresponding Parcel #

  4. Click on the Ownership Info tab toward the top of the screen, then scroll down to Legal Description. The subdivision name should be given in the Legal Description. (If there is no subdivision name given, use the Block and Plat information.)

Option 2

If your subdivision is not listed above, there is still a chance your home has a racial covenant because the research project is not yet finished. In this case, you can email your street address to Jenny Gnagey, jennifergnagey@weber.edu and request a check for racial covenants. You will receive a reply within 1-3 business days. If a racial covenant is found on your property, the response will include a copy of the covenant.

Option 3

If you'd rather not email your street address, you can send the name of your subdivision to Jenny Gnagey, jennifergnagey@weber.edu. To find the name of your subdivision, follow the steps given in Option 1.

How can I renounce a racial covenant on my home? (click to expand)

HB 374 from the Utah Legislature's 2021 General Session authorizes residents to record the following statement on their property, free of charge: "Any provision in a previously recorded written instrument that expresses any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, source of income, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity is void under Utah Code Section 57-21-6.1" State and local recording regulations must be followed including that all documents be signed and notarized and certain property identification information must be included.

Weber County residents can use this template form to renounce a racial covenant per HB 374.

Follow the steps below to complete and record the form:

  1. On page 1, provide your name and mailing address in the upper left-hand corner.

  2. On page 3, follow the instructions on the form to enter your Tax Parcel Number and the Legal Description of your property.

  3. Sign and notarize the form--Please note forms must be signed and notarized before they are given to the Weber County Recorder's office. The recorder's office does not provide notary services. Per Utah law, notaries will require you to present a valid form of photo ID (driver's license, state ID card, or passport.) All branches of the Weber County Library offer free notary services during normal hours of operation. Notaries can also be found at most banks and credit unions, but they may charge a fee.

  4. The original completed, signed, and notarized form can be either mailed or brought in-person to the Weber County Recorder's Office. The mailing address is the same as the physical address and is given below. If the recorder's office receives your document by mail, they will return it by mail to the address given in the upper left-hand corner of page 1 after recording is completed.

Weber County Recorder

2380 Washington Blvd, suite 370

Ogden, UT 84401

Open M-F 8am-5pm (except holidays)

Please note, recording the form does not erase the original covenant from your property records. The original covenant is still there, but now the renunciation statement will be there as well. An analogy is amending the constitution where the amendment does not edit the original text but rather is stated separately and takes precedence going forward. This approach acknowledges both our history and changes over time.

If you have questions about this process or want to request more information, please contact Dr. Jenny Gnagey at Weber State University.

Email: jennifergnagey@weber.edu

Phone: 801-781-5854